Event 2

Attending the Hammer Museum there were many interesting pieces of art that reminded me of the topics we learn each week. At the museum I learned about the different societies from the Renaissance era to the Modern era and how the many different cultures overlap with each other. The two artists that stuck out to me were Oliver Payne and Keiichi Tanaami and their ancient Japanese Pop art portraits. I like the Japanese Pop art because it combines the two cultures together. It “brings together two desperate senses of pictorial space (art) and seek to approximate the visual logic of video games (technology).” I also think the portrait is very unique with a lot of character and expression.
Japanese Pop Art
 



















Another portrait that caught my attention was an unusual painting that depicted a lot of emotion. Suzanne Jackson brought two cultures together with art in the real world by creating love between race, animals and life. Lastly, I enjoyed viewing a Renaissance canvas of John Singer Sargent because it showed the elegance of high-society life. 


Suzanne Jackson's painting

John Singer Sargent and myself




Overall, my experience at the Hammer Museum was very interesting, looking at the different kinds of art, seeing the artist’s interpretations and understanding the differences in cultures. The idea of “two cultures” was the main thing I took from the exhibit because it combines art, technology and the real world. It was interesting to see how the idea of art interprets in the real world, its uses in the different cultures and how these are supported by this course. Lastly, I recommend anybody taking this class to attend the Hammer Museum to experience the combining of many different cultures.





-Kyle Molnar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3 Blog

Week 6- Biotech and Art