Event 1

I attended an event, Welcome to the Woods by Linda Weintraub, to experience the life of the outdoors. The interactive lecture involved listening and discussing our usage of mass produced products and the realization that the millennial generation relies on objects produced from humans. I found it very interesting we would much rather have an artificial product (because it’s more perfect) than something natural.
Selfie with Linda Weintraub
As Weintraub continued lecturing, we discussed the natural things in life and what we are going to experience during this event, how each natural product smells, their touch and taste. But before we went in the room, we were asked a unusual question that stuck in my head. What percentage of your day do you come in contact with naturally produced stuff from the Earth? This made me realize that we primarily rely on items produced by humans and not Earth.
Once we were in the room, we were told to take our shoes off to experience the full effect of the items from the woods. One box that really stood out to me was the box full of different kinds of pinecones. Feeling the texture, weight, and length reminded that each piece has its own art to its natural features. Another box that stuck out was the box full tree bark from all different kinds of trees. The dimensions of the surface, stepping on the bark and feeling the rigidness texture of each piece reminded me of the geometry of art that we learned in week 2.
Group picture
In this picture, it shows many natural features and objects that come from Earth. We were asked to step on and feel the brown sand, the grass, the bark and red pebbles from trees. It was very interesting to feel how different each of these things are under your feet and then realize how often we actually come in contact with these objects every day.
Naturally produced

Overall, I had a great experience at Weintraub’s Welcome to the Woods event, observing the natural objects in life and how much we underutilize them. Not only did I experience and learn more about nature, the event changed my perspective about nature and I will question my choices in the future. Natural or artificial? I think my classmates may make different choices, too. I was also able to see how the material from this event relates to this course. The idea of ‘geometry and art’ stood out to me throughout the event but showing me the different dimensions and uniqueness of each natural object. Welcome to the Woods taught me how to ‘Bare Your Soul and Bare your Soles.’

-Kyle Molnar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3 Blog

Week 6- Biotech and Art